Thursday, July 12, 2012

Somethin Sweet Review in Deer Park, TX




It's been a long time coming.  Although blogging about cupcakes has been out sight, it has not been out of mind.  I wanted to bake Snickerdoodle cupcakes for my new inflight friend Tyler, but I couldn't find the time this week when I was home.  If there was a way to bake cupcakes in a hotel room in the microwave and it was edible, I would be the microwave cupcake master.   Fear not girlfriend! before the month is out there will be a cute little cupcake box on top of your V file filled with your Snickerdoodle cupcakes.

On our way home from the airport I begged Toby my roommate to stop by a cupcake shop.  Any shop! It didn't matter.  I just needed a cupcake fix.  Something Sweet in Deep Park, TX was what we narrowed our search down to based on their location and yelp reviews.   Something Sweet is location on a corner lot off of a main road with easy access in and out of their shop.  When we entered Something Sweet the smell was just overwhelmingly wonderful.  If you were not in the mood for cupcakes before you entered the store, I can guarantee you were after taking one whiff of those freshly baked cupcakes. They have at least 10 different cupcakes available daily.  They all looked beautiful! There were two teenager boys (forgive me I forgot your names) behind the counter who were upbeat and friendly.  As we were trying to pick just a few cupcakes a woman was waiting behind us.  We let her go in front of us.  She knew right away which cupcakes she wanted.  She asked us if it was our first time at Something Sweet and we said "yes".  She said, "You are in for a treat.  I usually never make it out of this shop with just two cupcakes". Toby and I narrowed our cupcake pickins to Peanut Butter Bliss,  Italian Creme Cake,  and Cookies 'N Cream.

Both Toby and I picked a Peanut Butter Bliss cupcake. Who doesn't love peanut butter!! This cupcake is a chocolate cupcake with butterscotch and peanut butter chips topped with a fluffy peanut butter buttercream.  We arrived at the store around 5:30 PM.  I can tell you from previous visits to other cupcakeries most are dried out by the end of the day.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how moist these cupcakes were.  The peanut butter buttercream was a bit sweet but you can definitely taste the peanut butter in it. 

I ordered the Italian Cream Cake cupcake.  I have great memories of the most wonderful tasting cream cake from an Italian Bakery in South Carolina.  This cupcake had a wonderful cake texture.  As I am typing this review I read the description from their website  http://www.somethinsweetdp.com/menu and it describes it as filled with fresh coconut and walnuts.  I had no idea Italian cream cake had coconut in it. I did not taste any coconut in the cupcake but I did taste many walnuts.  The cupcake cake was delicious even if I couldn't taste any coconut.  The cream cheese buttercream was wonderful as well.  I did not taste any cream cheese though.  It also was not as sweet as the peanut butter bliss buttercream.  Again, this cupcake was just wonderfully fresh and tasty.  I will be coming back to try the Chocolate Chip Cheesecake which was suggested by one of the teenage boys and I am curious about as the key lime. 

Toby ordered the Cookies N' Cream based on the suggestion of one of the teenage boys.  He said his cupcake was great.  I can only assume he was speaking the truth becuase he didn't even let me have a bite. Just to make it fair, I didn't share my Italian Cream Cake with him so we are even!

I would definately reccommend this shop to anyone needing a cupcake fix.  The prices are very reasonable at $ 2.75 a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment