Saturday, September 11, 2010

Canadian Cupcakes!

Isobel's Cupcakes Storefront
Since my cupcake pans are packed up and ready for the move, I am suffering from baking cupcake withdrawal.  The day I decide to have a garage sale, I get a call from crew scheduling sending me on a 4 day trip.  Starting with the first overnight in Ottowa, Canada! Last time I was in Ottowa I search the general area for cupcakes but could only find pastries.  This overnight was a very long overnight.  I brought Tony along to keep me entertained (or visa versa). I yelped cupcakes again and found a place...about a mile and a half away from the hotel.  I am too cheap to get a cab and would prefer to walk anyway.  Tony on the other hand would rather cab it anytime, anyplace, or anywhere.  I won, but not without a price. The entire time we were walking Tony entertained me with the reasons why we should try to hail a cab.   His whining was quite comical.  We finally arrived at Isobel's Cupcakes.  It was a cute little house on the corner.  Inside there were two rows of cupcakes neatly organized and well labeled.  There were about 12 different flavors.  On the wall there were decorated sugar cookies and on the counter there were miscellaneous brownies and sweet treats.  I must have been totally impressed because I bought 6 cupcakes.  I never buy 6.  Tony also bought a homemade toasted coconut marshmallow.  It was very good. 

Toasted Coconut Marshmallow
I am sad to say that the impressive store and display were the only things impressive about this place.  The cupcakes were very dry and the frosting was made with shortening.  I did like the fillings.  The strawberry filling in the strawberry shortcake, the lemon curd in the lemon cupcake. 

Lemon Curd, Strawberry Shortcake, Expresso, Cappachino, Coconut Lime, Chocolate Ganache
Of the 6 cupcakes we ordered the coconut lime was the best.  It had a coconut frosting with a cream filling similar to a canoli filling but unfortunately the cupcake was past it's prime and was very dry as all 6 cupcakes were.  I can't wait till winter comes in Ottowa and I can skate my way to a cupcake shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment